Sunday, June 15, 2008

Father's Day #2

Here's the recipe for the creamy, cheesy potato casserole that accompanied the steak sandwich in the Father's Day feast:

Potato Casserole
1 1/2 cups fat-free sour cream
1 1/4 cups (5 oz.) finely shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
1/2 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
2 tablespoons minced fresh onion
5 teaspoons butter, melted
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
1 (30 oz.) package frozen hash browns, thawed
1 (10.75 oz) can reduced-fat cream of chicken soup
cooking spray
1 cup coarsely crushed cornflakes
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley

Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Combine first 10 ingredients in a large bowl; spread evenly into a 13x9 inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle cornflakes over potato mixture.
Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour or until bubbly. Sprinkle with fresh parsley.

My Notes
With the exception of a couple of changes, I followed this recipe exactly. I forgot to crush the cornflakes so they were whole and didn't settle into the casserole as much as I would have liked. I also forgot to sprinkle the casserole with fresh parsley. I specifically went in search of fresh parsley at the farmer's market yesterday with this casserole in mind and then I forgot it. Oops! The casserole turned out great and was a big hit. I think everyone went back for seconds. The recipe is supposed to yield 10 servings and I think that is pretty accurate. We had four people and after the meal we had a couple servings leftover.

No comments: